It’s another day of the Mini Mermaid Party and today I am going to share with you this easy and yummy recipe for Mermaid Muddy Buddies.
Deliciously wrapped in candy melts and powdered sugar, this delightful snack is a chex mix muddy buddies recipe that the whole family will absolutely adore. It also is in line with all the fun Mini Mermaid Party that I have going on this week. It is not only the perfect addition to this party but Rachel’s little grand daughter adored them!
I just love how pretty these Mermaid Muddy Buddies turned out. Before you jump in your car in the scorching heat only to get home and find your candy melts a melted mess here is an easy way to avoid the hassle of having to go to the craft store for one item and the grocery store for the cereal. I have listed here some of my favorite items you can grab on Amazon and did you know that you can order things and they can be delivered in 2 hours? Yup that’s right. If you have Amazon Prime then its free shipping too! (Affliliate links) So your welcome! Life can get easier!
Now I know not everyone is a fan of shopping online but I myself tend to love it! Ok back to the Mermaid Muddy Buddies. These things are messy to make I am not even going to lie but let me tell you what kid doesn’t love getting messy when cooking in the kitchen. I don’t know too many. This is the perfect activity to make with your kids. It is an adult supervised activity due to the hot candy but let those kiddos shake the heck out of the candy coated cereal in that powdered sugar! Let them get covered in powdered sugar dust! They will love it.
I wanted to keep this Mini Mermaid Party mini so we didn’t really have a lot of treats but these Mermaid Muddy Buddies were the hit of the party and if you want to make the adorable Mermaid DIY Treat boxes we put them in head over to Rachel’s blog for the tutorial!
Mermaid Muddy Buddies
- 1 cup each candy melts: turquoise purple, dark blue
- 2-4 Tablespoons shortening or coconut oil
- 1 1/3 powdered sugar
- 6 cups Chex cereal
- Place 1/2 cup of turquoise candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and add 1/2 Tablespoon shortening.
- Heat for 35 seconds, remove and stir. Reheat as necessary in 10 second spurts until no large pieces of the candies remain. Add in extra shortening to get a smooth texture.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of Chex cereal to the melted candy melts, and stir to coat.
- Place 1/3 cup of powdered sugar in a ziplock bag and add in the candy-coated Chex cereal.
- Seal the bag and shake well to cover the cereal with the powdered sugar.
- Pour the muddy buddies onto a baking tray in a thin layer and
- Repeat with each color.
- To Make Different shades of purple and turquoise,I used about 2-3 tablespoons of the dark blue candy melts to make different shades of purple and turquoise. Using 1/2 cup of the turquoise and purple candy melts.
- Let set for 30 minutes to dry completely. Mix together and serve.
This mermaid muddy buddies looks pretty. I’d love to try this recipe 🙂
Thanks for sharing,
How far in advance can I make this…great idea!!