I have a confession to make. I just watched Frozen for the first time on Easter Sunday! Can you believe that? I hang my head in shame!! LOL ok I didn’t! But today I have a super fun and easy Frozen inspired cupcake for you all today!! It includes the tutorial on how to make the chocolate snowflake toppers!
These cupcakes are fairly simple to make! Below you will find the recipe for chocolate cupcakes or you can bake them using your favorite chocolate cake mix. Prepare and bake your cupcakes and allow them to cool completely. Then you will want to make the candy snowflakes!
You can find chocolate molds at your local craft and hobby store and if your unable to find it there you can purchase this one on Amazon.
First start by melting your candy. Place candy melts in microwave and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each interval. The candy melts will NOT change shape without being stirred, so do not overlook this step. The chocolate is ready when you can still see a few small pieces of the original chocolate piece shapes. Upon stirring, they will continue to melt.
Do not let the microwave melt it all the way or you risk of burning the candy melts.
To make the snowflakes: Once the chocolate is melted, use a food-safe paint brush or tooth pick to put the desired color on the bottom of the snowflake candy mold. This color will be the main color of the snowflake. Tip: be sure to put a very thick layer of this color so the second color does not bleed through.
After the first color is placed, spoon teaspoon size amounts of the second color of chocolate into mold forms until the chocolate reaches the top of the mold. Tap mold to remove bubbles and to settle the chocolate.
Use wet paper towel to wipe away any excess chocolate from the mold. The chocolate should be level with the top of the mold. Keep on counter or place in refrigerator for several minutes until the chocolates are solid. While the candy is hardening frost your cupcakes. Once solid, tap on counter to release from mold and place on top of frosted cupcake.
These cupcakes are moist and delicious and the frosting is just perfect not too sweet!
Chocolate Cupcake with Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup water
- Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening like Crisco
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar approximately 1 lb.
- 4 tablespoons water or milk
- For Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, and sugar. Sift in cocoa powder. Mix in baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix in eggs, milk, water, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Pour into cupcake liners, 2/3 full. Bake 25-35 minutes (checking at 25 minutes) or until toothpick placed in center comes out clean. Cool on rack before frosting.
- For Frosting:
- Put vegetable shortening and butter in bowl. Mix until smooth. Add powered sugar, one cup at a time. Mix after each cup.Add vanilla and water (or milk). Mix ingredients until smooth.
- Use more water (or milk) for thinner consistency. It’s best to do with an electric mixer to get a smooth consistency.