Fall is here and I absolutely love it! The fall colors, and smells and all the fun with the kids! And that means Halloween is fast approaching! Today I have a fun and scary recipe that will please everyone! These fun Chili Cheese Coffin Bread Bowls are really easy to prepare and so fun! You can also just make these with no scare element! Honestly everyone loved these!
Remove dough from freezer and allow to thaw using directions found on the back of the package. When thawed cut loaves in half and place in mini loaf pans that have been greased. Allow dough to rise until double in size. Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. When done remove loaves from oven and as soon as your able to touch the loaves remove from pans and allow to cool completely.
To make coffins: Slice bread horizontally making a v in the top portion of the bread. Do not slice bread all the way through the back of the bread will act as the hinge for the coffin.
You will have a top and a bottom to the loaf but they will be connected by the back. Gently bend the top of the loaf back taking care not to break the loaf.
With a knife score the inside the loaf about a half inch from the edge of the loaf, with your fingers carefully remove the inside of the loaf to create the coffin.
Using the 2″ lollipop stick to prop the lid of bread up, then carefully fill the bread coffin with chili and top with cheese. Serve immediately.
The lid of the coffin can then be removed from the coffin and used to dip in the chili!!
2 Loaves Rhodes Frozen Dough
4 small loaf pans(I use the foil ones you can find in the grocery store)
6″ lollipop stick cut in 2″ lengths
Remove dough from freezer and allow to thaw using directions found on the back of the package. When thawed cut loaves in half and place in loaf pans that have been greased. Allow dough to rise until double in size. Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. When done remove loaves from oven and as soon as your able to touch the loaves remove from pans and allow to cool completely. You want the outer crust of the bread loaves to get hard. I baked mine the day before and left them out to let the crust continue to get hard. This will not affect the inside of the bread and it will still be good to eat. Do not place the loaves in plastic at all.
Chili Cheese Coffin Bread Bowls
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 15 oz chili beans with sauce
- 1 15 oz can chili
- 1 15 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 pkg dry chili seasoning
- grated cheddar cheese for garnish
- Place olive oil in saute pan and add onions. Saute until onions are soft and translucent. Add ground beef and continue cooking until meat is no longer pink. When meat is cooked thoroughly drain fat from meat.
- In large pan or dutch oven pour both beans, tomatoes and dry seasoning and stir until combined. Add meat and onion mixture to bean mixture and stir until combined. Bring to a boil. Once chili comes to a boil lower the heat to medium and allow chili to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve in coffins or bowls. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.