I absolutely love shortbread and every Christmas time I make my Peppermint Shortbread Bites. As much as I love them they are definitely a Christmas time treat. Well I took a little Summer Spin on them and came up with my Lemon Citrus Shortbread Bites!! I am even more in love with this recipe now, the flavors are endless!
I whipped up a batch of these little babies and ate way too many!! So if you make these beware they are addicting!!
- 1 cup butter, softened (do not use margarine)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 powdered sugar
- 2T Lemon Juice
- 1/2 t. Vanilla
- yellow sanding sugar
- In large bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. On low speed, beat in flour, lemon extract and zest.
- On plastic wrap, pat dough into 6-inch square, about 3/4 inch thick. Wrap completely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. I leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 325°F. On cookie sheet, cut dough into 8 rows by 8 rows, making 64 squares. With knife, separate rows by 1/4 inch.
- Bake 28 to 35 minutes or until set and edges are just starting to turn golden. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Do not remove cookies from cookie sheet. Drizzle glaze over cookies. Before glaze sets, sprinkle sanding sugar over cookies. Place cookies to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
What flavor would you like to make with this versitile recipe??