I am so glad my sweet friend Wendy from Around My Family Table asked for a Burlap Flower Tutorial!! This Easy 30 Minute Craft is not only easy but your friends will love the flowers too!! Just look how cute this burlap flower is on my hat!!
Fabric flowers are super easy to make and take really no time at all. From the pretty “singed” flowers to the beautiful rolled rosettes fabric flowers can add charm and whimsy to any project!!
All you will need is:
1- 2.5 “x 21″ strip of burlap
1-flat back pin
buttons of choice
hot glue gun and sticks
1.You will need to cut your burlap and the easiest way to do that is to gently pull on thread of burlap out of the fabric at the 2.5″ measurement. First cut the pulled thread at the 21″mark. Then gently pull the thread all the way out and cut down the center of the area where the thread was removed.
3.Pull gently from both ends and work the gathers to the middle of the burlap. If you pull to hard you will break the thread and have to start again. Trust me on this I speak from experience!
4. Pull the threads until the burlap is gathered as much as it can be then take both ends of the gathering threads and tie them into a knot.
5. Using my Grand Calibur and Spellbinder Standard Circles SM I cut out 2 brown felt circles for the larger felt circle I used the # 3: 1⅝″ die, for the smaller felt circle I used the #2: 1⅛″ die. These will be for the back of the flower. I love using the Grand Calibur and Spellbinder Standard Circles SM dies it makes the back look so professional and clean!!
6. Now is where the hot glue comes into play. I put hot glue on the back the size of the felt circle.
8. You will be using the smaller felt circle and the flat back pin.
9. Cut the sides off the smaller felt circle.
10. Use one line of hot glue on the back of the felt circle and then place the pin on top of the hot glue be careful not to burn your fingers.
11. Carefully place the smaller felt piece over the hot glue and press gently again be careful not to burn your fingers. We’re now done with the back of the flower.
12. I have this wonderful jar of vintage buttons! So I searched through my jar and found the button I wanted to use and simply attached the button with more hot glue!
And that is a burlap flower you can make in less than thirty minuets!!!
I liked the buttons so much I added a couple more little ones to my finished product(you can see this in the first photo)!! Have fun with this you can go more casual or you can really dress it up!! Burlap is super versatile these days!!
I am a member of the Spellbinders Spellblogger Team. I may have been compensated monetarily, with product or both, however all experiences and opinions are 100% my own.